|G.I. Joe #23|
|"Cobra Commander Captured At Last"|
Jon D'Agostino; Tartag
Cobra Commander is captured in Switzerland, of all places, where Major Bludd has taken the Baroness for corrective plastic surgery.
The G.I. Joe team locates Baroness and Major Bludd thanks to a "beeper" they implanted behind Baroness' ear while she was unconscious in Bethesda. Clutch and Cover Girl follow Major Bludd to find he's going to make a phone call. Major Bludd calls Cobra Commander to blackmail him: if the Commander doesn't bring a suitcase full of money, they will tell Destro about the time the Commander ordered Bludd to kill him.
The Joes then watch Bludd going to the Bern Institute of Reconstructive Surgery. He gives the Baroness a new outfit and compliments her restored face. Snow Job can see they have tickets for a place called Lucca and Cover Girl tells him that's a town in Northern Italy, near Florence.
The next day, at Lucca, Duke and Roadblock find there will be a costume ball at night, so everybody is in disguise and, if Cobra Commander appears, he will be unnoticed among all the disguised people. Meanwhile, Clutch and Cover Girl follow the Baroness and Bludd, who are driving a 1931 Dusenberg, accompanied by several gangsters. The gangsters shoot Clutch's car. Duke and Roadblock react, but they have to face some of the gangsters, save for two who follow Bludd and the Baroness to meet Cobra Commander.
Cobra Commander carries a suitcase with the money and is accompanied by a chaffeur. he hands the suitcase over to Bludd, but then he refuses to release it and the chaffeur reveals himself as Storm Shadow, who kills both gangsters and puts his sword near Bludd's neck. However, the Baroness points her gun to Cobra Commander and makes him drive her out of there in his limo.
Duke and Roadblock arrive but are defeated by Major Bludd and Storm Shadow, who then hijack a parade float to reach Clutch and Cover Girl who are now following the Commander's limo. Duke, Roadblock and Snow Job also join the chase in the VAMP.
After a chase and some vehicle changes, Roadblock manages to be in front of the limo and then shoots it. When Major Bludd and Storm Shadow arrive, Baroness jumps to their float and they leave, despite Storm Shadow stating they should return for Cobra Commander. Despite most of the Cobras escaping, the Commander has been captured at last.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
Featured Vehicles & Equipment
"Waiter, this pate de maison is a disgrace to the cheese it shares board with. If you throw it far enough north, they'll call it liverwurst."
- --Roadblock demonstrates his cultured palate.
"Options?!! If I really want to, I can hire that gorilla from the luggage commercial to jump up and down on your face while wearing track shoes!"
- --Cobra Commander takes Major Bludd down a peg. The look on Bludd's face is priceless, too.
Cobra Commander: Just one thing. Why did you specify that [the money] had to be in a Gucci suitcase?
Major Bludd: All my life I've wanted to walk down the street with two million dollars in a Gucci bag. Now hand it over!
- --Ask a stupid question...
- Major Bludd shows off airline tickets to France. Then he and the Baroness drive there.
- When Duke lifts the chandelier off Roadblock, his normally blonde hair is colored black.
Items of note
- Nobody at the cafe notices Duke talking into a radio the size of a suitcase?
- The debut of Baroness' new uniform.
- Cobra Commander's personal headquarters is under a fast food joint.
- This is the first time Storm Shadow speaks - previously, it was possible he was mute, like Snake-Eyes.
- This issue was reprinted in the G.I. Joe vol. 3 and G.I. Joe: The Best of Duke trade paperbacks.
- "Baroness" is reading Cosmopolitan magazine.
- "That gorilla from the luggage commercials" is a reference to a series of Samsonite ads from the '80s, in which a gorilla beat up on a suitcase to show how strong the construction was.
Footnotes and References