From the time of its introduction, the Multi-Ordinance Battle Tank (M.O.B.A.T.) was one of the most advanced battle tanks in the field. So advanced that it needed little upgrading over the years. It still remains a monster to be feared in the battlefield.
The primary weapon of the MOBAT is the 130mm anti-armor cannon which is capable of firing up to 80 rounds. Originally, it was up to 105 but anti-armor technology has improved since then and concessions have to be made when the new rounds made the MOBAT reach up to 65 tons in weight fully loaded. The secondary weapon is the .50 caliber machine gun with 1,500 rounds of ammunition. The engine enables the MOBAT to reach 60mph on an open road and 45mph on cross-country travel. The MOBAT is powered by two gas turbine engines. It can submerge in water for up to an hour due to retractable snorkels and air-tight hatches.
The MOBAT was based on the MBT-70, a prototype main battle tank designed jointly by the US and West Germany during the 1960s and 1970s.
The MOBAT was brought in to the rescue of Dr. Adele Burkhart. It was driven by Steeler to knock out as many of Cobra's tanks as possible before it was disabled by anti-tank personnel. General Flagg had a MOBAT commissioned for parade during an Armed Forces Day parade. Cobra would have stolen it had the Joes not foil that plan.
The armored might of the MOBATs came into play during the Joes' invasion of the Cobra Temple. Normally, they don't have the ability to traverse up a mountainside but they were aided by robotic spider walkers and provided all the armor the Joe Team needed to break through Cobra's barricade.
- A Real American Hero (1982)
- The MOBAT had the honor of being among the first toys in the A Real American Hero toy line. The MOBAT included a Steeler action figure.
- 1982 blueprint from YoJoe.com
- The Real American Hero Collection (1998)
- The MOBAT is re-released by Toys "Я" Us for the Real American Hero Collection using the same mold with a different coloring. This time, two action figures are included, Heavy Duty and Thunderwing.
- 1998 blueprint from YoJoe.com
The MOBAT mold was used three more times for Cobra vehicles both being exclusives:
- C.A.T. (Crimson Attack Tank)
- C.A.T. II (Crimson Attack Tank)
- CHAR D' ASSULT (all black from canada, comes with Cobra Commander)