It's a nice little town called Broca Beach and Clutch and Rock 'n Roll find themselves in a bit of a pickle. Lucky the Mean Dog is on the way.
Broca Beach: Buzzer is happy literally swimming in cash, the profit of Cobra's various scams, but manages to incur the wrath of Road Pig by disrespecting Zarana. Zarana goes for a walk and checks on the other Dreadnoks, who are hiding Cobra's vehicles among the amusements on the pier.
Clutch and Rock & Roll arrive in town; they are on leave and visiting what used to be Clutch's home town but he is dismayed by the number of changes. They are stopped by a couple of police officers who order the "drifters" to move on. Rock 'n Roll quickly spots that one of them is wearing a Cobra signet ring and bundles Clutch back into the car. However, as they're leaving they are spotted by Buzzer, Thrasher and Road Pig.
Road Pig orders the Cobra cops to give chase while Buzzer and Thrasher race to alert Zarana. She begins breaking out the hidden vehicles while Monkeywrench on a Dreadnok Cycle joins the police officers. Clutch and Rock & Roll attempt to radio for help. Although a Tele-Viper jams the signal, Duke and Scarlett get enough of the gist to send Wildcard, Hardball and Repeater to assist in the Mean Dog.
Zarana directs a group of F.A.N.G.s to attack the Joes' car but the Mean Dog arrives and provides covering fire while they head for the freeway, taking out most of the H.I.S.S. squadron while Buzzer, with a furious Zarana as passenger, heads in the opposite direction. The police cars are blocking the highway but Clutch manages to persuade them to move by deliberately sending his car into a spin. The Pogos attack but the Mean Dog manages to destroy most of them, even though it means using up all their ammunition. Zanzibar rapidly surrenders, confident Cobra lawyers will get him out on a technicality, but Wildcard suggests they could lose him for a while.
Clutch and Rock & Roll think they're in the clear when their car is suddenly totalled by a hammer-wielding Road Pig, who declares that Zarana has decided they possess information detrimental to Cobra...
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
|G.I. Joe||Cobra||Broca Beach|
Featured Vehicles & Equipment
- None yet.
- Clutch's license plate changes from "RO-71397" in Broca Beach to "(something)-540" in the fields, then finally to "OL CUDA" on the highway.
Items of note
- The targets in the shooting gallery are Snake-Eyes, Duke, Shipwreck and Scarlett.
- Among other things, Clutch's back seat contains a hockey stick and a basketball.
G.I. Joe references
- Clutch says he saw RnR throw an empty can of Yo-Jo Cola in the back seat.
- Zarana is reading Forbes Magazine.
- Clutch refers to girls with Farrah hair, a very popular style in the late '70s.
- Carl Sandburg is a writer and poet - however, it was Thomas Wolfe who wrote You Can't Go Home Again.
- Diving horses were a popular attraction in the first half of the 20th century.
- Rock n' Roll throws a can of Valvoline oil at Clutch while they're driving.
- The names of the Cobra policemen are Damon and Pythias.
Footnotes and References