Hector X. Delgado
|Grade / Rank|
Sailor; S.E.A.L.; Gunner's mate; Machinist
Naval Gunnery School; S.E.A.L. School
|Weapon / vehicle expertise|
|1st Comic Appearance|
Shipwreck has earned a reputation as being one of the more rambunctious members of the G.I. Joe Team. It's not that he is in any way disobedient or disrespectful of higher up officers. His arrogant, brash personality and stereotypical sailor attitude has gotten him in trouble so many times. He prefers to take up his own actions and fight the enemy in his own way. He also has a reputation for telling tall tales and for his poor culinary skills. It seems he is the only one who can stomach his own cooking. His superiors have had enough and shipped him to Navy S.E.A.L. School in the hopes the training there would make him a better man. It made him better alright... a better fighter only.
Shipwreck grew up just by the side of the sprawling San Diego Navy Yards. He enlisted at the youngest possible age with his parents' permission and then served with distinction in the Mekong Delta where he contended with river pirates, smugglers and insurgents. He also spent time at several naval bases and on carrier-initiated operations in the Middle East.
A Real American Hero continuity
Marvel Comics continuity
Shipwreck led a team of Joes assigned to erect the new transportable Air-Sea Base in the Gulf of Mexico when they were attacked by Cobra, who were seeking to trigger the geological faultine. The result was the creation of Cobra Island. He was subsequently part of the team that sought to drive Cobra off the island before sovereignty could be claimed, but the lawyers were too fast. Shipwreck then participated in a mission to steal a Soviet laser from Afghanistan, preparing an ambush in neighboring Pakistan. He later returned to the Gulf as part of a Joe team seeking to rescue Ripcord and Snake-Eyes from the island. Soon after he took part in the assault on Springfield. Back at the Pit he was part of a team unsuccessfully sent to recapture the escaping Zartan. Not long afterwards Hawk announced the grim news that the G.I. Joe team was being shut down and Shipwreck was temporarily quartered up in Fort Wadsworth.
Much later at the new Pit Shipwreck was one of the Joes tasked with cleaning the base for a snap inspection.
Devil's Due Comics continuity
G.I. Joe Reloaded
G.I. Joe vs. Transformers
Action Force (British) Comics continuity
Shipwreck was part of the Action Force team based in Europe. He participated in several missions including the sabotaging of an arms transaction between Military Armaments Research Systems and Cobra and a direct assault on Cobra's London base. He was part of a team that was tricked into attacking an oil rig belonging to Destro, but was subsequently freed by Quick Kick.
Shipwreck bore a remarkable resemblance to Ahmed Hassan, the ambassador for Ishmali to the United Kingdom, whom Cobra sought to kidnap. Shipwreck disguised himself as Hassan and took his place while the real Hassan was taken to the embassy. Shipwreck was accordingly captured by Cobra but escaped with the help of Flint. Shipwreck then participated in the mission to steal a Soviet laser from Afghanistan. He was later briefly assigned to the Gulf of Mexico to install the new Air-Sea Base and got caught up in the creation of Cobra Island. Shipwreck later took part in a major operation in Venice where the team joined forces with Destro to prevent Cobra from taking over from the Mafia in Venice. Unbeknownst to any of Action Force the whole situation was a sham to allow Cobra and the Mafia to form an alliance. He then undertook further missions in the Americas.
Shipwreck was later sent to observe the raising of a crashed Second World War German plane, as the recovery team were using new flotation balloons and pumps used for raising sunken vessels that Action Force were interested in. During the operation the son of the plane's pilot and another Cobra Lamprey sought to steal gold aboard the plane, killing the other crew members. Shipwreck survived and sabotaged their attempts, sending them to a watery grave. He was later part of a team who stopped Cobra obtaining a powerful laser driven by diamonds. Shipwreck was then part of a W.H.A.L.E. crew captured by a squad of Cobras seeking a Tactical Analysis Computer System (T.A.C.S.) unit to discover Ministry of Defence secrets. The team escaped and destroyed the device before it could be use.
Blackthorne Comics continuity
Dreamwave Comics continuity
Hasbro Comics continuity
Sunbow animated series
DiC animated series
Sigma 6 animated series
- Battle Corps (1994)
- The all-encompassing Battle Corps line of 1994 included Shipwreck. This time, his function is redesignated as a Navy S.E.A.L.
- Battle Corps filecard
- The Real American Hero Collection (1998)
- Shipwreck was carded in a three-pack with Torpedo and Wet-Suit in The Real American Hero Collection's Naval Assault Unit pack.
- Naval Assault Unit filecard
- The Real American Hero Collection (2002)
- In the last of The Real American Hero Collection toys, Shipwreck is carded in a two-pack with Sidetrack.
- Real American Hero Collection filecard
- G.I. Joe vs. Cobra (2002)
- As part of the theme of G.I. Joe vs. Cobra, Shipwreck is carded with a Cobra counterpart, B.A.T..
- G.I. Joe vs. Cobra filecard
- Spy Troops (2003)
- Conquest of Cobra Mountain (2003)
- Another Shipwreck action figure is bundled with the Conquest of Cobra Mountain playset.
- Conquest of Cobra Mountain filecard
- Valor vs. Venom (2004)
- A new design is given for Shipwreck in the Valor vs. Venom line. He is included with the Piranha assault boat. The same design, albeit recolored, is available in a two-pack with Electric EEL.
- Valor vs. Venom filecard
- Operation Flaming M.O.T.H. (2007)
- A Real American Hero 25th Anniversary (2007)
- Shipwreck's original design is given a gloss-over for the Real American Hero 25th Anniversary.
- Shipwreck was based on Jack Nicholson's character Billy Buddusky in the 1973 film The Last Detail.
- A competition was held in the pages of the Marvel UK comic Action Force to name Shipwreck's parrot. The winning entry was announced in issue #27 as "Seasick".
- The 1994 Shipwreck toy was used in the Nickelodeon animated cartoon series Kablam! to create the character "Stinky Diver."
- Appearances of Shipwreck (RAH)
- Image Gallery: Shipwreck (RAH) Although Shipwreck's original file card list his rank as an (E-7) Chief Petty Officer, his uniform is that of an E-6 or below.